Friday, April 29, 2011

Strawberry BBQ sauce;

Let me first say this: I forgot to take actual photographs while cooking.  Right away that's going to make this post short and sweet, since a post without photos is like a day without sunshine...bad.

I was flipping through Amanda's Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) magazine that came a couple days ago (yes, I'll admit I look at that magazine, but mostly just the Garden section for inspiration and ideas) and came across a page about Strawberries.  Apparently May is National Strawberry Month.



BHG had a couple of ideas for not-so-ordinary uses for the delicious berry and one stood out - Strawberry BBQ sauce.  It was so simple!  It merely called for mashing a few strawberries with the back of a wooden spoon in a small sauce pan, then adding BBQ sauce (I have yet to try to make my own BBQ sauce from scratch, so I used our favorite store brand, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce) and simmering for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.


And I did just that!  I mashed three of the most ripe berries in my pan, added as much Sweet Baby Ray's as I thought we'd use and coated the chicken breast tenders I had just cooked.

For side dishes we had asparagus and sweet potatoes that I baked, hand mashed with a bit of milk, cinnamon, and our favorite pancake syrup.  It was a great dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment