Monday, February 21, 2011

Eastern Market Art

Happy Birthday George Washington!  Rather, happy President's Day! (or Presidents' or Presidents, apparently there isn't a sole accepted spelling).  We've really been enjoying relaxing (read: wasting) the weekend away.

Saturday night we picked up our friend Keith, who was away traveling on business, from the airport.  We shared a nice meal at Ted's Montana Grill (which is really delicious if you ever get the chance to try it; I suggest getting the Salt and Pepper Onion Rings, best in the world).

Sunday was a beautiful 45-50 degrees and sunny.  We again picked up Keith and headed into the city to enjoy a day out at the Eastern Market (referenced a lot in this previous post, since we got most of our art from the Market).  It was so much fun!  And new!  They had numerous booths and vendors that we'd never seen before...kinda weird since we've been known to head to the Market each weekend during the late spring through early fall.  I've been itching to get a piece of art that included the US Capitol, so that was in the back of my mind as we walked around.  Almost immediately we stumbled upon an artist we've previously bought from, Joseph Harrison Snyder.  Remember this piece (again, from this post)?



In my previous post I said I couldn't read his signature and couldn't remember his name...well, it's Joseph Harrison Snyder :) He'd just finished a new piece...and we bought it!  Well, we bought a print of it.  In fact, he said we were the first people to own one! (actually he said "second people", since he considered himself to be the first).  The Capitol!



I love this guy's art.  He's a funny guy, too.  When I asked him what medium he used he replied (I'm paraphrasing): Oh, I used acrylic, watercolors, ink pens...whatever it took to get it done (as he chuckled).  Great attitude.  You can see the acrylic brush strokes throughout, which I love.  The detailing of the Capitol itself was done with the ink pens and the lines are clean, crisp and wonderfully drawn.  I already love the painting.

The second piece caught Amanda's eye.  We've framed it, but we're not going to hang it until we complete another project.  I'll let her tell you the details on that later, but I'll show you the piece now:



I never got the artists name, but I know he's a regular vendor.  For those of you that have been to the Market, he's the painter at the farthest south booth, closest to the flea market.  Next time we go I'll be sure to get his name and info and update this post.

After our shopping we went to Cafe 8, a great little Turkish restaurant just south of the Market.  Keith had been there before and it was on his recommendation we went.  It was very tasty!  The hummus was amazing, but the best part was the bread served along with the hummus.  It was light, fluffy, buttery and amazingly delicious.  The three of us each ordered a Pide (pee-day), which is basically a wood fired turkish pizza.  They were good, too.  I'd definitely suggest this place to a friend and I plan to return when it's warmer to take advantage of their great outdoor courtyard seating area in the back of the restaurant (as another sneak-peak tidbit, their backyard courtyard gave me the inspiration for a courtyard of our own...but that's probably months away, stay tuned).

After the Market we dropped Keith back at home and eventually made it to Michaels to get frames and supplies for another of Amanda's projects.  They were having a 40% off frames sale, so...score!  I think whenever we've gone to Michaels for frames for our purchased Eastern Market art they've been having a 40 or 50% sale.  I guess we're just lucky.

I suppose I should go see if Amanda needs any help!  Check back for details on her projects!

I couldn't help but put in a picture of the kids in a sweater.
Enjoy the holiday!

1 comment: