Thursday, May 19, 2011

Weed Forest: By Special Request!

I always feel kind of silly posting as many photos of our yard (the intentional and unintentional stuff) as I do.  While most people revile their weeds and would gladly resort to napalming them if it was legal, I just can't get enough of all the fascinating forms of flora we have in our little 0.6 acre patch o' paradise inside the Beltway.  I think the diversity in physiology of the leaves and flowers, how some spread while others just grow on their own, how one day we just had a barren rockland and the next, there was life everywhere is amazing.  Luckily, it appears as if I'm not alone, as John received a special request from his mom for some additional photos of our rattlesnake weed.  Oh, I should mention, when I say "rattlesnake weed", I mean the Hieracium venosum, not the Euphorbia albomarginata, which also goes by the common name rattlesnake weed.  So, here they are for Beth and anyone else who might be interested in some little weeds to enjoy!

The foliage.  I think they must be past their prime because it was hard to find some good specimens.  Plus, someone might have gone a little crazy with the weed whacker a couple weekends back...




These are the rattlesnake weeds' flowers.



While I was out and about, I also found the following yard stuff, which I found interesting.  Oh, and it was so nice to be able to be out with the dogs taking photos and not have to worry about them dashing into the street.  Thanks, new fence!

A huge, crazy fungus!


A weed garden!


Something in the weed garden!


This thing with cute little leaves!


Wild strawberries?


This viney thing that reminds me of our creeping jenny.


This stuff that kind of looks like poison ivy to me... I'm not sure...



A tiny purple forest!




This disgustingly pitiful thing.  I'll have to remind John to throw it away before it goes bad or attracts the fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment