Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mom Den: Part 1

Up to this point, almost all of our cleaning/decorating/unpacking efforts have been allocated to our first floor, a tiny bit to the basement, and even less to our second floor.  I'm pretty sure entire weeks have gone by where I don't even venture upstairs.  As he works up there, John has made a little bit of progress in his home office, and we have (sparsely) set up the guest bedroom.  It's really quite a shame because it's pretty charming up there, with the slanted walls and nice views of the yard... if you can ignore the lower ceiling heights and avoid meeting your doom in an avalanche of boxes. 

As one of my unofficial New Year's Resolutions, I have vowed to get back into knitting and finally learn how to use my sewing machine.  To aid in this effort and make use of a room we otherwise don't really need at this point (it's been marked as the future home of Baby Bedtelyon - who does not exist and will not exist in the near future, just to clarify), I have so graciously been given the room and it has been christened the "Mom Den".  I may not have any human children to call me "mom", but petsons most definitely count... right?

Too long ignored, we finally bought a piece of furniture specifically for my den.  Please welcome our newest IKEA piece, the 16-cubbied EXPEDIT

Ooooh!  Ahhhh!
Surprisingly easy to assemble (even though the boxes were crazy heavy, thankfully I have my He-Man to lug them up the stairs), we had it together in no time and put into place.  As you can see, I'm still working on filling the cubbies and making it look pretty, but progress is progress.  So far, it's serving perfectly as storage for my knitting supplies, skeins of yarn, and my pretty little sewing box my parents gave me for Christmas... and a photo of my favorite son.  Don't act surprised... we know parents always have favorites.



To the left of the room, I have a work table (previously used in John's office at Overlook, but now is too large for his room), which I think will provide the perfect work surface for projects galore.  I can almost see all the window coverings, pillow cases, and cushion covers I'll be making now... I think I'll need some additional task lighting, but hey, this is just Part 1.

For now, I just use cat slave labor.  Those tiny paws just move so quickly.


I'm kicking around the idea of painting the room some shade of pink to really girl it up, but in the interest of not having to paint again in a few years should John get his heir, maybe I should pick something a little more neutral.  It's been 17 years since I had a pink room, though, and I must say, I kinda feel like partying like it's 1994...

And for now, I share the room with Dexter (who could ask for a better roommate?  don't do it, it would be too greedy) and a load of boxes, but we're working our way through those, as well.  Knowing myself and my laziness, I'm sure by the time I get the room set up, Baby Bedtelyon will come and snatch it all away, but for now, I have my own little room in my own little house.  Now, if I can just convince John to let me install a wine fridge up there, I'll be all set...

Does 50 bottles say "connoisseur" or "I have a problem"?...

No comments:

Post a Comment